UG Rap Community

Aktuelle Zeit: 29.03.2024, 16:30

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 49 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.06.2007, 09:04 
Globaler Moderator

Hier noch die Trackliste:

1. Posse From The Bronx
2. 82 Afros feat. Ski
3. Soul Fever
4. Pushahoe
5. Suga Willie’s Revenge feat. Jungle Brown
6. Jack N’ Jill
7. Material
8. Money Clap
9. Ganja Lounge
10. Black Hollywood
11. Zoom
12. Sweet Claudine

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.06.2007, 09:48 

hehe schön... wieder ski beats
na da freu ich mich drauf

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.06.2007, 09:52 
Globaler Moderator

Jup, komplett von Ski produziert...

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.07.2007, 23:23 

Interview with Sonny Cheeba and Ski Beatz

Bild

Zitat:
What’s up?

Cheeba: We’re all right. We’re chilling.

Black Hollywood is about to drop. Where has Camp Lo been the last few years?

Cheeba: We’ve been wrapped up in this web of crazy paperwork. We were trying to work on an independent thing, but we got caught up in bad paperwork. But now we’re out of it and we’re able to do what we want to do, which is make that music for the people.

How frustrating was it for you to be tied up in legal situations?

Cheeba: It was like a straitjacket. It was like a straitjacket. We knew what we wanted to do but we couldn’t do it. And the people were coming up to us asking for the next tape, but we knew that we couldn’t hit them with the next tape because we were caught up in this paperwork. We were caught up with Arista. We were supposed to put something out. Arista gave our album a ‘9’ rating, which is unheard of over there. Then we went over to J Records and that didn’t work out. And then we tried to go independent and that didn’t work out and we got caught up in some more paperwork. It’s like a web of bad paperwork, but now we’re out.

Ski: I look at it like it’s a blessing. Now is the perfect time for Lo to be out. With the way hip-hop is, and I don’t want to diss all of the artists out there, but there’s a lot of cookie-cutters out there and Camp Lo is definitely not in that category.

What kind of approach did you take on your new album Black Hollywood?

Cheeba: It was done in about a nine-month span, if that. We made three batches within nine months. The first batch was like five songs. Then another batch with like three and another batch with like four. We were kind of trying to hold them back for a minute but we could only hold it back for so long.

Was this an easy album to record or were you guys rusty?

Ski: They were never rusty because they’ve always been recording. It was never lyrically out of taste. They stayed in the studio.

How did the chemistry change between the three of you recording today versus in the ‘90s?

Ski: We just grew closer together. The bond is tighter now, man. We’re all grown. We’re all mature. We know how to sit down and come to the table. We know how to structure our business right. We come to the studio and I do my songs in the same way. It’s the same vibe. They work the same way in the studio.

Cheeba: We do the song in the same day! (laughs)

Ski, what kind of production did you want to give Cheeba and Suede on Black Hollywood?

Ski: I didn’t want to compromise my sound or change too much. I wanted it to be my sound and I wanted them to be Lo. I wanted the people to get Lo the same way they remembered them when they were in the game. They’re going to get that same Lo.

How important was it to keep it along the same vibe of older Camp Lo material while still showing growth?

Ski: The Camp Lo sound was always a timeless sound. If you listen to all of these new records like “Lean Wit It Rock Wit It,” it’s of the times. When they came out, Camp Lo came out with their own sound and their own type of dialogue. It was never put in a box as to having a certain type of sound, that’s why I feel we can pick up where we left off. You can play “Luchini” in the club today and the response will be the same as it was years ago.

Are you guys happy with the response to the single “Black Hollywood”?

Cheeba: Oh, yeah. So far, so good. It seems like it was something that they were waiting for that they’re not going to get from other artists. It seems like they’re digging it so far.

Ski: You know what I tell people? All these new people are out there now, but what about all the old Camp Lo fans? There’s a whole audience out there that needs to hear Camp Lo. When I look at the comments on the Camp Lo songs, it’s obvious that they’re waiting for Camp Lo.

Are the fans still there?

Ski: I think once they get a whiff that Camp Lo is back, they’re going to come back. I’m one of those fans. I’m fiending to hear something hot from an artist that I used to love in the ‘90s. If I was a fan and I heard something crazy from them, I would definitely support them.

Ski, what was it like rhyming on "’82 Afros"?

Ski: I was a rapper before I was a producer so it was natural. I heard the beat and I started rapping. They told me to get on it and I did.

Cheeba: We think people are really going to dig this collection of music because nobody else is doing it this way.

Did anything specific inspire “Jack and Jill”?

Cheeba: We wanted to keep it BX but not KRS-One them. We didn’t want to beat them in the head with it. We wanted to slip it to them in our own way. We are basically saying that Jack is the dude that had that virus or whatever and he was giving it to young girls. Jill was a dancer that was doing cats dirty and in the end, she got done dirty. From the outside looking in, it just sounds melodic and musical, but we hit them with something.

Ski: Plus the audience needs to know that Camp Lo has substance too. It’s not just slanged-out slick talk.

What was it like recording “Soul Fever”?

Ski: To me, that was like that early ‘90s, Jay-Z, Biggie Smalls vibe.

Cheeba: That NY club vibe! It’s that NY club vibe. The bassline is really soulful on it, like how it dips. It’s doing them dips. That’s where the idea for “Soul Fever” came from.

Does Camp Lo get the credit they deserve for their role in bringing the soul sound to hip-hop?

Cheeba: Never, ever, ever! My people’s call it the Brooklyn Way. We don’t get enough Brooklyn Way. Everybody gets credit but there was no neo-soul until us and Erykah Badu came out. There was neo-soul a year after we came out. So I don’t think we got enough just due, but, you know, it is what it is.

Why is it like that?

Ski: Because when you’re down, nobody really cares. When you’re down, nobody really cares. For the record, we created it. We started it. Camp Lo is the original soul cinema guys.

Cheeba: We got “Coolie High” on jump. That’s what we were coming out the door with. We weren’t influenced by no one else but Lo.

Ski: But don’t get it twisted. We’re not some old heads that are bitter. Just do the research and you’ll know where it came from.

Cheeba: We’ve been doing the brims and the cigars and all that type of thing. It’s a lovely thing and we’re going to always continue to do it how we do it, just with a little extra soul to it.

Is the fact that you’re not bitter a sign of maturity or were you guys always like this?

Ski: There’s really no need to basically dwell on it like that. The energy is not going anywhere.

Cheeba: Exactly. You can’t box yourself in and think about beefing with somebody. We’re just going to continue to do what we’ve been doing and we’ll be all right. When cats catch on that we’ve been doing it like that, we’ll be all right.

Are you concerned with getting the respect you deserve today?

Ski: If we worried about that, then we would be kind of egotistical. I feel that if we just keep doing what we’re doing, keep our eyes on the prize and achieve our goals, then we’ll get to where we need to go and the respect will come.

Cheeba: But on the other side, from artist-to-artist, the artists that we run into really spread love and don’t really understand why we’re not in a certain place where they expect us to be. So we do get that respect from other artists.

Ski, a lot of producers get by on soul samples. Would they be around today if it wasn’t for you?

Ski: I can’t take all the credit, because there was me, Clark Kent and Premier and a couple of other producers at that time. We definitely ushered in that sound. Uptown Saturday Night is a real soulful album. It’s a compliment to me. I’m glad to see 9th Wonder, Just Blaze and Black Milk taking it to another level. I love to see what they’re doing. They’re just taking it to another level.

You guys kept Black Hollywood to 12 tracks. Why keep it short?

Cheeba: A lot of times, it’s kind of overkill to throw all of those joints on there. Not all of them will always be liked and they can sound like other tracks. Basically these 12 tracks don’t sound like any other tracks and they don’t sound like anything else out.

Ski: To me, it’s sweet and short. Do you want to hear it again? Play it again. Do you want 20 tracks? Play it again.

Cheeba: Short and sweet, baby!

Ski: As a matter of fact, the next time we’re going to pull an Illmatic! That’ll be real hip-hop.

“Luchini” was a smash for you guys. Do you have any regrets from those days?

Cheeba: What we should have done next was drop “Spanish Harlem” right after “Luchini” because that was one of a kind.

Ski: I’m just glad to have produced it and I’m glad that people still feel it to this day. That song is the reason Camp Lo went to Japan and all over.

Ski, are you more proud of your work with Camp Lo or Jay-Z?

Ski: Wow. With Jay and Reasonable Doubt and all of that, I loved that. I loved that whole moment in time when I did it. With Camp Lo, it’s something totally different. When I first started working with Lo, not Jay, but Dame didn’t really believe in what I was doing. He was saying, “Why are you working with these guys? Nobody’s going to understand what they’re talking about. Nobody’s going to get it. Why are you wasting your time?” But when “Luchini” came out, you didn’t hear that anymore. With Lo, that’s fam. They’ve been with me while I was down and they’ve been with me while I was up. “Luchini” is my favorite song that I’ve done, for real.

Sonny Cheeba, you guys can go pretty far out with your lyrics. Do you ever worry about fans not understanding what you’re saying?

Cheeba: I’m kind of dumbing it down by talking to you now. My slang is out the window anyway. When it comes down to that, on certain songs, we have made it more clear for cats to hear it, but at the end of the day, we’re going to hit them with the dictionary song and the dictionary.

Ski: We’re going to hit them with the Camp Lo Dictionary for people to understand the Camp Lo slang.

Cheeba: But I like it like that. I like it when people write the lyrics out and they don’t understand it, like, ‘What did he mean by ‘muscular baboon’?’

What are your goals for Black Hollywood?

Ski: To let them know that Camp Lo is back.

Cheeba: To give them something funky to listen to! To give them something new for the new cats that haven’t heard this sound. For the cats that have been with us, this is something new for them, because they’re thirsty right now for something that’s not the regular, not the norm, and that’s what we’re here for.

Ski: With their lyrics on top, it just turns it into a whole ‘nother beat.

Cheeba: We just can’t help but to do that. Dumbing it down takes away from the texture of the rhyme.

Ski: With the internet out there, fuck dumbing it down. The real music fans can still hear it. They’ll be able to say, “The industry changed and the game changed, but Camp Lo didn’t change.”

The Lifesavas picked you guys to be on their lead single, “Gutterfly.” What did that mean to you?

Cheeba: I looked at that a little bit, but didn’t really dwell on it for too long. I thought it was love that they even considered Camp Lo to get on it. I don’t really dwell on it for too long. It’s just a good thing.

What’s next for Camp Lo?

Cheeba: We have another album coming out in September on Redefinition Records. We’re just doing music right now to the point where we have to get it out there for everybody to hear it. And if something else comes out in the next couple of months, then so be it. But there's going to be a lot more of this music that we’re making coming out.

Ski: We’re just keeping the music out there. The more music we put out, the more fans we reach. The more fans we reach, the more places we can go. And we’ll be back, off the radar. Me, personally, I’m not really too concerned about major distribution or a major look, because I know that with today’s technology, we can do a lot of stuff.

What advice would you offer to up-and-coming artists?

Cheeba: Stay in your lane. Know where you’re coming from. Don’t try to be like nobody else. That’s why the music is like it is. So stay in your lane!

What do you want to say to everybody?

Ski: Check us out online.

Cheeba: And Camp Lo rhymes like nobody else, B. And we’re going to continue to do such.

http://myspace.com/therealcamplo

http://myspace.com/skibeatzmusic

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.07.2007, 12:29 
Globaler Moderator

Ist das Album draussen?

Shop: https://www.rapmazon.com/
Email: info@rapmazon.com

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.07.2007, 12:57 
Globaler Moderator

Puddahmaan hat geschrieben:
Ist das Album draussen?

Ja, ist heute veröffentlicht worden.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.07.2007, 13:01 
Globaler Moderator

Knowbody hat geschrieben:
Puddahmaan hat geschrieben:
Ist das Album draussen?

Ja, ist heute veröffentlicht worden.

Sehr schön...bin ja mal gespannt,
ob es nur ein weiteres Album ist wo versprochen
wird nahtlos an den Klassiker anzuknüpfen und
das total in die Hose geht oder ob wirklich der alte Sound wiederbelebt wird.

Hast du schon reingehört?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.07.2007, 13:19 
Globaler Moderator

Ne, noch nicht. Wollte es mir eigentlich heute bestellen, aber ist mir noch zu teuer.

Glaube ehrlich gesagt nicht dass das der große Wurf wird, habe irgendwie ein ungutes Gefühl. Mir scheint dass die beiden so ein wenig verträumt an die Sache rangegangen sind und mehr in Erinnerungen schwelgen als dass sie da tatsächlich was ordentliches auf die Beine gestellt haben. Aber mit ein paar relaxten Ski-Produktionen würde mir das Album wohl schon gefallen... :notsure:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.07.2007, 14:51 

Deutschland Release ist übrigens am 3. August!
Ich erwarte zwar nicht, dass man an Klassiker a la Uptown Saturday Night anknüpft aber gespannt bin ich auf jeden Fall was dabei rumgekommen ist :thumbs:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.07.2007, 15:26 

Mit den Beats von Ski kann eigentlich nicht viel schief gehen. Album wird sicherlich gut, hab´s schon vorbestellt.

Wie auf den meisten Songs fällt es Dougie auch hier schwer seine Aussagen in stilvolle Worte zu kleiden, auffällig inflationär tauchen die Worte "Niggaz" und "Bitches" auf. Wer damit Schwierigkeiten hat, der wird wahrscheinlich überhaupt keinen Zugang zu diesem Longplayer finden.
[/center]

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.07.2007, 16:17 

Werde denke ich mal reinhören.

Zitat:
Kemper:"Ein Teil von mir sagt:"Ich würde gerne mit ihr sprechen, mich mit ihr treffen. Der andere Teil von mir sagt:"Ich fragt mich, wie wohl ihr Kopf auf einem Stiel aussieht?")

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.07.2007, 18:34 

Local-C-Lab hat geschrieben:
Deutschland Release ist übrigens am 3. August!
Ich erwarte zwar nicht, dass man an Klassiker a la Uptown Saturday Night anknüpft aber gespannt bin ich auf jeden Fall was dabei rumgekommen ist :thumbs:

seh ich genauso.. da kann man einfach nicht dran kommen.. wäre auch komplett falsch wieder zu versuchen genauso ein ding hinzulegen... aber ich denke auch das etwas neues von den beiden mir gut gefallen wird
mal sehen :thumbs:

Betreff des Beitrags: Camp Lo
BeitragVerfasst: 26.07.2007, 17:09 

Servus!

Camp Lo finde ich persönlich auch nicht übel. "Glow" mein absoluter
Lieblingstrack!

Was geht bei den Jungs zur Zeit?

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Camp Lo
BeitragVerfasst: 26.07.2007, 17:12 
Globaler Moderator

dj.primus hat geschrieben:
Servus!

Camp Lo finde ich persönlich auch nicht übel. "Glow" mein absoluter
Lieblingstrack!

Was geht bei den Jungs zur Zeit?

Sie haben diesen Dienstag ein neues album veröffentlicht :razz:
Einfach mal die letzten paar Posts für Infos durchlesen. :thumbs:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 26.07.2007, 17:32 

hat die scheibe schon jemand gehört?

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 49 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde